unfortunately, i can't answer that for you, because each theatre is different. you, however, can do a little bit of leg work and most likely find a place close to home that can hook you up! (i can hear you groaning... it's not a LOT of legwork, just a little ;) here's what you need to look out for:
1. the oil. what kind of oil do they cook it in? likely it's not just a straight oil, in which case you'll need to find out who the manufacturer is and give them a shout. if you're new to calling companies to get this kind of information, here are some tips for you.
2. the seeds themselves - are they straight up popcorn kernels? or do they have anything that they've been coated in or flavored with?
3. what's that deliciously greasy stuff they're putting on top? is it real butter? probably not entirely, what we've encountered so far is a mix of butter and margarine. once again, find out who they get it from, who makes it, and get in touch with them. this is an important step, as the "butter" is half the goodness of movie theatre popcorn!
1. friday night at 7:00 is not the best time to go in and ask all of these questions. for one, you're going to be asking a 14 year old boy who is working at the concession and he's likely not going to know the answers. you're going to need to talk to the manager at very least, if not the owner. off times are the best times to be a detective in this case!
2. it may seem like a lot of work, but we've found it to be well worth it. we have a cheap theatre in town and the owner has called the companies for us, checking into every aspect of what they use and what could possibly touch our popcorn. as a result, we have a place we can go and enjoy the heck out of a movie and popcorn! and thanks to our great babysitter, we've been hitting up that theatre a lot!
3. each time you go in, it's super important to check with the person in charge to make sure that none of the ingredients have changed. they could change their oil, or kernels, or butter, at any time so it's really crutial to check in and make sure they haven't switched anything up. this can be done when you arrive at the theatre, or to keep things even easier, you could call earlier in the day and just get it out of the way. easier for them and easier for you!
enjoy your movie, enjoy your popcorn, and if you stumble upon this kettle corn...